Friday, November 3, 2017

Module 10 Assignment

Steven Witten's video on Making Things with Maths was interesting. It was hard for me to get into it and be able to become really interested in what he was saying because I haven't had math at this level in a long time. It was hard to get past the mathematical concepts to get to the point of what he was saying. That being said, once I was able to get past the "I don't want to listen to this guy talk about math for an hour" stage, I really liked what he had to say. Using technology to teach math and science in practical ways is a true game changer. Not just memorizing equations or writing out problems, but using programs like the blue circles in a box and being able to apply the laws of motion to them makes the content more realistic and applicable.
QR code to the youtube video: 
For the maker activities in class, I viewed Google Cardboard, Makey Makey, and the Apple Learn to Code activity. Google Cardboard was amazing! I had no idea that for $20 I could have Virtual Reality in my pocket! I love that there are so many experiences you can download for free and utilize in everyday life. My entire group was so enamored with this that we discussed creating a Google Cardboard compatible app for our final project. 

Makey Makey was cool as well, although I'm not sure I can see it being used in a secondary classroom. I enjoyed being able to touch the different objects and they control the mouse, keyboard, and other parts of the computer.

The Learning to Code app was pretty cool as well. My group is thinking that we will be making an app for our final project, so seeing some basic coding elements was very useful and insightful for us. I liked how the app made it seem like a game, rather than a boring how-to list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEAC 451

I found this article very interesting because I had never before questioned the way in which we teach students throughout the entire history...